Once a month a take a trip to my nearest china town and stock up with all my Asian herbs, spices, sauces, seeds, nuts, grains, noodles and many more for the café and for home.
You really find such great buys there, and things you would never find in your local Pick n Pay or Spar.
Black rice is one of them. It has quite a similar look / feel to sushi rice, a little sticky, but really no flavour at all. So you need to make a great dressing for it.
Try this recipe, its a great accompaniment to some crispy duck or some lightly fried fish.
Asian Black rice salad
Ingredients (serves 6-8)
• 1 1/2 cup black rice
• A splash of olive oil
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 1 red onion, finely chopped
• 3 large garlic cloves, minced
• 1 thumb fresh ginger
• 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
• Zest and juice of 1 lemon
• A handful fresh corriander
• A handful flat-leaf parsley
• A sleeve of spring onions
• salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• 80ml honey
• 60ml rice vinegar
• 30ml sesame oil
• 30ml soya sauce
• 2 avocados, peeled, pitted, and sliced into wedges or dried dates (optional)
1. Bring rice and 3 cups water to a boil in a small saucepan. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until water is absorbed and rice is tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
2. Heat a splash of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally until soft, about 8 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, and cumin and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Then add remaining ingredients: lemon, honey, vinegar, sesame oil, soya
3. Mix dressing with black rice and once cooled add herbs and spring onion. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve salad with avocado OR dried dates (optional)